Time Is Another Name Of Love

Love is about memories and rememberence. Love is also about knowing Saba - the 'suchness of things'. Time is the medium where Saba is recorded. Yet, at the same time, Saba is the 'imprint of time' on things and beings. When one truly gets over the fear of time, then he/she can say that "I am in Love" or "I am alive". Love is the true unconditional existence.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala, India

I believe in Love

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Back in the Academy

From 22nd of this month I am in the academy, assessing the continuty excercise of the students and developing the structure of cinematography syllabus in detail. It made me think of my own continuity excercise. In it, 'Heart Beats 24 Times per Second' I have even mixed live action with the screen image!... yes I did follow the screen direction :-) when I moved on to the stage and moved in front of the screen!!

Back to the student films in LV Prasad Film & TV Academy. This was the first excercise the students did with actors. So they also felt it like their 'first film'. Most of the films I liked eventhough one was looking out for mistakes!!

What a difficult thing to do, judging other peoples work :-(

All this made me think on our own acceptence of other people's criticism of our work. How many of us genuinely accept other person's views? Very rarely in the first instance. At first we will try to defend our position with all possible arguments, though we know that the other person is well meaning and he has a sound logic in his view points. May be after two three days we will accept the other persons view! But rarely we will confirm it with him!!

Well, at least we cinematographers have a relatively objective analysis of our own work. I may be wrong in assuming this :-) Probably that is why on many occassions we are also able to step in for 'clash works', for fellow cinematographers. Or even two or more cinematographers working for the same film. When I worked with Shri. Mangada Ravi Varma, in Adoor's "Nizhalkuthu" it was a very fullfilling experience. I am sure even Adoorji enjoyed working with us two cameramen in the film, so that he duely gives credit to both of us :-)

It was the same with working in Fazil's "Manichitra Thazhu". Venu, Anandakuttan and myself worked in the same film as cinematographers! Of about fifteen days I worked in the film, I ended up shooting with three directors in the same film - Priyadarshan, Sibi Malayil and Fazil himself!! Well this film had two units parallely shooting in the same location, and five directors [the other two were Siddhiqe Lal duo] working univocally under the guidence of Fazil.

I must admit that such experiences are rare but very enriching. Many people do not beleive that such efforts and accomplishments are possible. Well, at least in Malayalam Film Industry, such nice co-operation among the fellow technicians and artists do happen. I do wish that it will be so in the future too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home