Time Is Another Name Of Love

Love is about memories and rememberence. Love is also about knowing Saba - the 'suchness of things'. Time is the medium where Saba is recorded. Yet, at the same time, Saba is the 'imprint of time' on things and beings. When one truly gets over the fear of time, then he/she can say that "I am in Love" or "I am alive". Love is the true unconditional existence.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala, India

I believe in Love

Saturday, November 12, 2005

Mirrors and Reflections 2

Becoming a projectionist was the third ambition in my life. Which immediately filled within me a transformed urge to become a film maker. Yes, by my 10th standard [1972] I have decided to join FTII. Those days in my dreams I would see myself wearing a 'mundu' [dhoti] and directing the cast! he.. he.. If I remember correctly from the first year of my degree classes only I started wearing 'pants and shirt'. And what shirts I used to wear!! I am sure that for 1972 it was ultra-modern. I still remember two shirts vividly - one a bright red with different shades diffusing within and with merging yellow and dark islands scattered all over the red. The second shirt would look like made of a news paper sheet. That was a hit at college :-) [my first ambition in life was to become a priest, secondly it was to become a magician]Coming back to the profession of a projectionist, the most important skill to learn was to bring in the carbons to the right positions as it is burned and moreover adjust the 'mirror' of the projector very delicately so that you get an even illumination across the screen. I was very pround of the projections I did because there weren't many cat calls from the viewers due to any un-even illumination on the screen.I still feel the knobs of the 'Devi' projector and its matte green colour. And i fondly remember my projectionist guru, Rjappan Chettan. He was a very kind person who allowed me to learn from his vast knowledge of the art of projection.It is amusing to look back at the mirror connections in my life!! Its finality was my recognition of cinema as a 'mirror of love'. When I presented Aravindettan's 'Vasthuhara' for the film-appreciation students at FTII in 1992, I presented the film as an example of my idea of 'mirror of love'. And where did this idea of 'mirror of love' come from? That again is related to one of my most intense and defining experiences during my boyhood days in Cherthala, my native town. Another mirror story. - to be continued

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home